DIY Shaving and Shaping Pubic Hair
Many women like to have neat and trim pubic hair, whether they are getting ready for a beach holiday or simply as part of their regular personal grooming routine. But how do you know what kind of pubic hairdo is right for you, and how do you make sure you get what you want?
Here are some of the most popular ways women seek to shape and shave their pubic hair. If you decide that a salon experience is right for you, just make sure the salon in question is safe and hygienic, and that the stylist has lots of experience in the field...
Professional WaxWaxing is the easiest way to get your pubic hair into a good shape. It's advisable to see a professional as access to the pubic area can be difficult, especially the back. Make sure you give yourself a decent trim first, and decide what you want. The best bit is that it will take anywhere from two to eight weeks for the hairs to grow back. Ideas include:
- Regular. For girls who think more is better. Only those tufts that would peek outside the bikini are removed.
- Brazilian. For girls who think less is better. All the hair near the front and back of the bikini line is waxed away but a cute little "landing" strip is left.
- French. Like a Brazilian only hair in the back is left. Good for women who aren't that hairy, or who still want to appear a bit au naturel.
- Full. The hair that would show outside a bikini is waxed away, but what's left is shaped into a neat, tidy triangle which any girl would be well proud of.
DIY DesignsGiving yourself a pubic design is as easy as one-two-three. All you need are hair clippers, a razor and a stencil, along with some moisturising cream. Cut your hair down to basics, then apply the stencil with cream on the back, so it will stick to your skin. Let the hair underneath the stencil soften up in a warm bath, then shave carefully by removing hair that's outlining the stencil, then pulling it off and shaving the rest.
Some of the most popular designs include hearts, triangles, flowers and lightning bolts. May take some practise, or have a (good) friend shave for you...
Buy a MirkinThe easiest way to look sleek and smooth is to shave as much as you can (see below), then buy yourself a mirkin, or pubic wig. They come in a variety of colours and shapes (green hearts, pink shamrocks) and are fun and easy to apply.
Top Tips to a Clean ShaveIf you want to save time, money and embarrassment, then shaving yourself is obviously the best way to have a sleek and chic bikini line area. However, you don't want to be left with ingrown hairs or a stubbly red rash. These tips will help you get the best bikini line on the beach...
- Buy a decent shaving product. Using soap is a huge no-no, and if you use your significant other's shaving cream make sure it's thick and creamy. Special bikini line gels and foams are pricey but worth it.
- Use a good razor. Only you can decide which one is right, so it's a case of trial and error. Resist the urge to use the same razor over and over to save money – you'll regret it.
- Give yourself a trim. Pubic hair that's too long is impossible to shave.
- Warm up. Lie in a warm bath or take a hot shower first.
- Exfoliate first with something soft and smooth, and rinse blade often.
- Shave in the direction of hair growth – and take your time!
- Start with a larger stencil first – if you make a mistake, you can move on to a smaller one and still have a design you like and want.
- When done, rinse and moisturise. If you are prone to ingrown hairs, then an anti-bacterial cream can do wonders. Some women swear by tea tree oil, others say it's too harsh.